Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Frito Lay - Smiles campaign sucks

Recently, I've heard a number of Frito Lay commercials that has some narrator speaking in some down home, comforting voice. The tag line is something about "promoting smiles."

Potato chips are not that deep.

Unless you've got the munchies. But then everything is deep.

I honestly don't understand why they're trying to make chips into a moving, emotional experience. I suppose, since part of the commercial is talking about how it's tough times right now, and if I was struggling to get by, a bag of chips would be nice little comfort. But seriously, if I was struggling that much, chips would be the last thing I should be spending my money on. I could maybe put it towards a bill so I don't get my electricity canceled or put gas in my car so I can get to work. And if I was actually in starvation mode, chips would be even worse because all the salt and grease is going to make me dehydrated and I'm going to die even sooner. Smile about that, Frito Lay.

The down home thing works for a number of things. Home cookin', maybe board games. Not snack foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment